Thursday, April 26, 2012

Third Child Syndrome (TCS)


Even at the age of five, our third and last child, Myli, has been my perpetual baby.  A few weeks ago when I was at my mom's house, I told Myli it was time to go "ni-night". My mom looked at me incredulously. "Did you just say 'ni-night'? You know she is 5 years old, right?" That wasn't the only time during the visit that it was brought to my attention I still treat Myli like a toddler. I often find myself carrying her on my hip. I've even been known to spoon feed her when I notice she hasn't finished her dinner. I know, it's kind of sick. At least she isn't still nursing. (Not that there is anything wrong with that.)


From Myli's point of view, that is the plus side to having TCS (Third Child Syndrome). The down side is that she has been a constant (and loyal) spectator of life....on the sidelines of her two siblings' (Luci and Fynn) activities for the last 5 years. Always watching, never participating. They've done gymnastics, tee ball, dance, soccer. Myli has always been along for the ride and totally under the radar. (I seriously have been in denial that my last child is growing up). During the summer we have always ridden our bikes to the beach on Whitefish Lake, to the farmer's market, to the ice cream shop downtown. It was just easier to put her in the bike trailer while Luci and Fynn would ride their bikes. She hasn't even really ever had a bike. She never complained - honestly I don't think it even occurred to her that she'd been missing out on anything.


Well apparently this will be the summer of Myli. She just signed up for the Youth Track Program WITH Luci and Fynn and and she loves it. She is now being cheered for BY Luci and Fynn while playing on her tee-ball team....highly entertaining. She plays wiffle ball in the street with Luci and Fynn and their friends and can totally hold her own. (don't worry, we live in a very safe, low traffic, double cul de sac - don't call CPS on me!) And.....last weekend....we bought her a bike. Gently used from her older friend, Xochy, it couldn't be more perfect for her. She loves it so much, I thought she was going to bring it in and sleep with it the first night. Forget training wheels, we had no time to waste. She was riding all on her own within 24 hours. She was so proud - we were so proud. Luci and Fynn were SO VERY proud. On Monday, while the other kids were at school, pretty much all Myli and I did was practice. Rain or shine.....(it did both), I'd run along at first but soon she was on her own and would go to the end of the cul de sac and circle back to me. At one point she stopped, put down the kick stand, and ran inside. "Be right back!!!" She came back a moment later with a bottle of bubbles. "Okay, Mom, every time I come back to you, blow bubbles on me please!"


(Whatever you heart desires, Little Sister)


The first time she came around grinning ear to ear amidst a sea of bubbles, I thought my heart was going to explode. Such is life with my little baby, Myli Mo. - pure joy!


We spend our days like this. Riding bikes, sitting on the porch reading a book while I drink my morning cup of coffee, blowing bubbles, drawing with sidewalk chalk. She starts Kindergarten in the fall - I'll happily soak up as many of these moments as I can. I've had the privilege of enjoying this age with each of my three kids. I am one very lucky mama.


(But seriously....why does it seem like the laundry is rapidly reproducing in my closet and bedroom?)

No comments:

Post a Comment